Cigrons amb Mussolina d’All
From Catalan Cuisine, pg 66.
This is the recipe I make the most from this cookbook. I don’t really follow the recipe at all. I can skip the the bacon and ham to make it vegetarian, and stretch it with red peppers. Chorizo or other strong and spicy meats go well here too. I often add a goodly amount of pepper, too.
I also use many more tomatoes, usually making a sofregit first as the flavourful base. Canned fire roasted tomatoes add good flavours, or fresh roma tomatoes that cook down nicely.
- 60g / 2 oz thick cut bacon, cut into 1cm/1/2 inch cubes
- 30g / 1 oz cured ham (proscuitto or Black Forest type), diced or julienne strips
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 750g / 1 1/2 lb chick peas, cooked
- salt and pepper
- 250 ml / 8 fl oz Garlic Mousseline (pg 28)
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks (or 1 egg yolk and 1 whole egg)
- 250 ml / 8 fl oz mild extra-virgin olive oil
The first time I made this mousseline, I made it with raw cloves – skipping the first instruction to roast them. I have made it with roast garlic, but mostly I run it throw the food processor with raw cloves.
I’ve also made it vegan with a mix of dijon mustard and nutritional yeast and corn starch.