All The Best Recipes

Christmas Orange Goose, Chestnut Stuffing, and Sides

This will be the run down of tonight’s Christmas meal. Celebrated a day early on Bowen Island.

Final plate

Mashed potatoes with gravy (slightly pink from port), chestnut apricot kale stuffing, chicken hearts, cranberry orange maple syrup sauce, plantain celeriac patties, goose, duck hearts, mustard braised kale & onions.

I decided to briefly immerse the goose in boiling water. I added a goodly amount of salt, cloves, juniper berries, lots of thyme, and some black pepper to the water, as well as half an apple.

It’s a big 12lb goose so I had to flip it to get both ends in the boiling water.

I added celeriac, onion, a zucchini, some carrots, and a sprig of rosemary to the goose bath water.

I also fished out the juniper berries which were tasting strong.

You can see there is already some fat from the goose in the stock.

I also put in the neck, wing tips, and gizzard, kidney, and liver.

After looking at various chestnut stuffing recipes, it’s pretty much just “make stuffing”.

I covered the chestnuts in cold water, brought to a boil, and cooked for 25 minutes.

Peeling a bowl of chestnuts is super tedious.

Ended up with about 3/4 of a cup of chestnut pieces. Added some old dry bread, thyme, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Minced a cup or two of raw kale. Minced a 1/2 cup of apricots. Added half a cup of white wine.

Still to come, mixed in a cup of sautéed onions.

Added some of the turkey broth, an egg beaten in 1/2 cup milk, some grated Parmesan, and chopped up the gizzard, kidney, and liver from the stock.

Put it in the oven on 350F.

Zested two oranges and a knob of ginger on a micro plane. Mixed with black pepper, thyme, ground coriander, paprika, a little nutmeg.

Earlier, had salted the goose well.

Rubbed the spices all over the goose, and stuffed the cavity with the orange peels.

Put in breast down on top of a bed of turnips and carrots. At 165C convection roast for 1.5 hours.

That’s done. Will set aside and put back in the oven briefly to warm up before serving.

Here’s the bottom after 1hr 20minutes.

Poured most of the fat / pan drippings out and flipped it so the breast is up. Another hour and a bit.

Took it out about 15min early. Convection really does speed things up. Just under 180F — which is what it’s supposed to be.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Could have crisped up the skin a little bit more. Nice colour, good flavour.

A little overdone only the breast for my taste — but was still moist and tender. One technique I looked at actually cut off the breast and let the thighs keep cooking.

I also made two kinds of hearts.

Here are duck hearts, marinated in orange juice, coriander, black pepper, turmeric.

Chicken hearts! Sesame oil, soy sauce, grated ginger.

Rachael made trifle!

Sometimes we call it fruit smash. It’s delicious.