All The Best Recipes

English Muffin Bread

“Like an English muffin, in bread loaf form”

From Cook’s Country magazine, we got it from Lee & Sachi on Orcas Island.

Leite’s Culinaria has the full recipe that I’ve posted here:

• Butter, for the pans and plastic wrap
  • Cornmeal, for the pans
  • 5 cups (27 1/2 ounces) bread flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 cups whole milk, heated to 120°F (49°C)

Note:

Note that this English muffin bread recipe calls for bread flour and not all-purpose flour. And don’t even think about swapping all-purpose flour for bread flour or your English muffin bread will be a flop to the magnitude of a Bridget Jones-worthy kitchen flop. And keep in mind that bread flour absorbs more water than all-purpose flour, which means it turns into a wet, sticky dough that resembles pancake batter. Don’t freak. It’s supposed to be a lot runnier and goopier than typical American bread dough. Just take a breath and hang with our recipe instructions. Things will be fine.

Alright, I have everything I need for this and we’re between no-knead loaves.

Buttered and corn meal-ed loaf pans. I didn’t have two big ones, so one regular, two small.

You mix all the dry ingredients and heat 3 cups of milk to 120F. I got out the thermometer.

Buttered plastic wrap on top of the dough.

After 30min of rising, divided the dough into the 3 pans. Again covered with buttered plastic wrap. Dough rose to fill the pans, yay!

Here are the loaves out of the oven. Just over 30minutes. Proper 200F temp achieved!

The next morning, the inside is still soft. Toasting makes for great crunch — but still soft in the middle of the slice. I’m a fan!