All The Best Recipes

Leg of Lamb with Oranges

Tomorrow I’m making a leg of lamb, and the main thing I’ve decided is to cook it with oranges.

Here’s some research:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/roast-leg-of-lamb-with-orange-and-herbs

This one from Serious Eats is for lamb shoulder, but I may just go with the food processor for making a paste out of dates and spices:

All usually start with a hot 400/450 oven, and then reduce to 300/325, and again finish with high heat.

They take about 2 - 3 hours, which is good as I have to serve at noon!

I kind of feel the insertion of paste or peel is a little fussy.

I’m not really a fan of cinnamon and meat other than in very specific combinations.

I do have some dates, so looking at how those could be used.

I did make a paste.

• I had a 1/2 cup of grape seed oil leftover from frying plantains last night so started with that.
  • Added zest and juice from one orange.
  • 2 cloves garlic, which were kind of jumbo so more like 4-5 regular cloves.
  • 1 onion
  • 1 gala apple
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp paprika
  • 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
  • 1 Tbsp red miso
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp oregano
  • 1/2 cup dates

Slathered it all over the leg after scoring the fat. Put it in the oven uncovered at 450F

After 30min at 450 the smears of paste were getting dark so I added liquid (water used to rinse out the paste from food processor), one large sweet carrot, and a leek.

Sealed it in aluminum foil.

After 2 hours at 330F under foil, this is what it looked like. Took off the foil and increased heat to 400F and put it back in the oven for 40min. The crust thickened and darkened nicely.

I liked the flavour. The lamb itself was just OK. Should have gone in a Dutch oven and been more sealed and probably cook for another hour over low heat. Pieces of lamb with broiled crust were really good.