All The Best Recipes

Omurice - Japanese omelette rice

Omurice aka Japanese omelette rice is something we’ve enjoyed at Dosanko.

At Dosanko, you can get the dish with a vegetarian tomato sauce, or Hayashi sauce (beef) or Curry sauce (pork), on top of a relatively plain rice. And the omelette is lovely and soft on the inside. At table side the outer egg is cut open to reveal the still soft egg on the inside, and the sauce is poured over top.

When looking up recipes, I saw them done differently — as chicken fried rice filled inside the omelette.

Here’s two versions I found:

So let’s call this the Dosanko version of Omurice.

I sautéed 1 1/2 cups of rice in a tablespoon of ghee with a couple of tsp of salt until it browned. Then 3 cups water and cook for 20 minutes.

The tomato sauce started with a half a small onion finely chopped and sautéed in olive oil. Added a Tablespoon of butter, and salt and pepper. Two cups of quartered Campari tomatoes put in on high heat. Added a 1/2 Tbsp of tomato paste and a tsp of sugar.

For the omelette I started with a Tablespoon of butter and 1/2 Tbsp of canola oil. 5 eggs, a Tbsp of Half and Half cream, and a bit of salt.

I didn’t get the whole thing as soft as the Dosanko version (I’m not sure how to fold it over properly), but it was still soft and able to be folded back. Here are the omelettes on the rice, folded open.

No pictures of the final version, but I’m happy with how it came together. The sweetness and acidity of the tomato sauce, the butter smoothness of the omelette, and the nutty flavour of the sautéed rice worked well.