Leftover Downlow Chicken with some summer salads in the park. There’s a dollop of baba ghanoush on the plate with carrot sticks too.
Smashed Cucumber Salad
I make a quick version of this cucumber salad — which is technically “smashed cucumber salad” that I had for the first time at Nine Dishes.
- chopped cucumber, smashed first if you like — long English or Japanese or Persian Muji cukes; field cukes are too filled with seeds and moisture
- a couple of cloves of garlic, minced or run through a garlic press
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- minced jalapeño or red pepper flakes or fresh red chili or other spicyness to taste — the original has chilies as well as Szechuan peppercorn
- green onion, minced
- sesame oil
- rice wine vinegar
- soy sauce
- sesame seeds (optional)
Pasta Salad with Olives and Basil
- fusilli pasta, cooked
- jar of sliced black kalamata olives, drain and reserve the liquid
- bunch of basil, minced
- 2-3 red bell peppers, chopped
Mix about half the olive juice with 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add fresh black pepper. Toss and let sit to soak in flavours.