All The Best Recipes

Sunchokes aka Jerusalem Artichokes

The Jerusalem artichoke ( Helianthus tuberosus ), also called sunroot , sunchoke , or earth apple , is a species of sunflower native to central North America. It grows wild in eastern and western North America but is considered an introduced species. It is also cultivated widely across the temperate zone for its tuber, which is used as a root vegetable

Roasted Sunchokes

Sunchokes can be served raw, roasted, fried, pureed into soups, or steamed. Similarly to celery root, sunchokes will oxidize when sliced, so it’s best to use them right away or store them in acidulated water (water with the juice of one lemon) if not using immediately.

1 Like

I picked up some sunchokes at the Granville Island Public Market on a whim. Some super delicious roasted sunchokes are served with Savio Volpes Bagna Cauda dish.

I sliced them into 1cm slices and tossed with olive oil and dried thyme and coarse grey salt.

I like them, especially when they get a bit browned. R is unsure if she likes them — a bit of a celery / fennel after taste, neither of which she likes.

It does have a very unique flavour, I’ll buy some more and experiment.

1 Like