All The Best Recipes

Taro Three Ways

The taro root research lead to three different ways of preparing taro.

First was the Japanese simmered taro (thanks Fernando!)

I didn’t have any sake, but the Sherinngham Distillery white whiskey worked fine :wink:

And of course, these aren’t young small tubers. I didn’t notice any slime. The texture is VERY dry. They hold their shape but you can use a fork to mash them, so definitely need liquid.

Second was thin taro “fries” baked in the oven with olive and a mix of koji salt (which isn’t very salty) and kelp salt. Like yams, you have to be careful between burning and soggy when you bake.

Served with radish pickles, kimchi, and pickled beets, plus some taco beef and pulled pork leftovers.

Lastly, taro custard. I used the taro bun filling as a guide, so cubed the taro and boiled it in 3 cups of water.

Drained and reserved 1/3 cup cooking liquid. It was easy to mash with a potato masher.

Added in 1/4 cup of sugar and a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.

Then I beat an egg with 1/3 cup of cream and mixed it into the mashed taro. I put it back on low heat and used a whisk to keep stirring.

The finally mixture is nice and smooth and sweet, quite a bit like chestnut. I’m going to let it cool and see what that does to texture.