All The Best Recipes

Trinidadian Curry with Roti and Side Dishes

I researched a bunch of Trinidadian recipes to make tonight’s meal:

I made the Green Seasoning:

No pimento so used half a red pepper. Did add a little white vinegar.

I made the curry powder, leaving out only the star anise:

Trinidadian Chicken Curry

I had 4 chicken thighs and 2 full legs that I skinned. Removed the bones from the thighs and cut apart the legs to leave the drum sticks, and cubed the thigh meet.

I marinated them in the green seasoning with 2 Tbsp of Dijon mustard plus a little salt and black pepper.

I put the chicken skin and trimmed fat in the oven at 300F to render the fat. I used that fat and a little coconut ghee to toast 3 Tbsp of the Trinidadian curry powder. Let toast and foam a bit, then added half a minced onion and kept sautéing on high. Added the chicken meat with the marinade.

Add 3/4 of a cup of water and put in the oven at 300F.

Lamb Mango Coconut Curry

This was pretty much entirely made up.

I had three boneless lamb steaks and a bit of pork belly. I trimmed the fat from them and put the fat in the oven to render. Cubed the meet into 1 inch cubes.

I grated 3 cloves of garlic and a 2 inch knob of garlic on a micro plane and stirred into the meat cubes, plus coarse salt and pepper. Chopped up 3 Tbsp of cilantro stalks. Chopped up half a giant red mango and added into the meat mixture (probably a whole regular mango). This sat and marinated for about an hour.

In the lamb/pork fat I sautéed two minced red Thai chilies, a tsp of fennel seeds, 2 tsp of mustard seeds, and half a chopped onion. Waited for onion to brown then added meat mixture and two celery stalks, small 1/2 cm cubes.

Kept heat on high and kept stirring the meat until it was starting to brown. Added a can of coconut milk.

Put in oven for 3 hours on 300F. Near the end, added other half of giant mango and half a chopped red pepper.

This was sweet from the coconut and mango, and had a low and slow background burn from the Thai red chiles.

Roti

Rachael did her best job yet with the roti.

(photos by Rachael)

Side Dishes

I made two salads as side dishes.

I was inspired by Barbadian Pickled Cucumbers:

I sliced the cucumbers very thin and added juice from one fresh lime, and chopped up some cilantro. I added a Tbsp of sugar and put it in the fridge to marinate.

The second salad was diced cucumbers, a Tbsp of minced red onion, half a diced pineapple, chopped cilantro, salt, and juice from a fresh lime.

This wasn’t very interesting in flavour when it came out, so I added a tsp of powdered garlic, some rice wine vinegar, and a little more salt. The garlic worked really well — wish this had gone in as raw garlic for the marinade. And it could have had hot peppers in it for a little kick. Still, the sweet pineapples in there went really well with everything else.

Final Plate